Senior Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology Program
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Chief Quality and Performance Officer
Full Professor, Medicine
University of Ottawa
Alan J. Forster MD, FRCPC, MSc is a general internist; Chief Quality and Performance Officer at the Ottawa Hospital; Vice Chair, Quality and Clinical Services, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa . He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa and Senior Scientist in the Clinical Epidemiology Program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
His research focuses on patient safety and quality improvement. He has performed seminal work evaluating the incidence of adverse events following discharge from hospital. This work has lead to the development of strategies to improve care during the transition home from hospital. He is also leading in the development of a hospital data warehouse, which will serve as a supporting infrastructure for a research program in patient safety and quality of care. He has over 135 publications in peer review journals.
He has received several prestigious awards recognizing his work within the field of health services research, including a Career Scientist Award with the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and an Early Research Award and Ontario Research Fund grant from the Ontario Government’s Ministry of Research and Innovation.
In addition to his significant contributions to a quality and safety program at the Ottawa Hospital, he provides ongoing scientific advice regarding the measurement of quality of care to national and international organizations, such as the Canadian Institute for Health Information and the World Health Organization.
- Forster AJ, Oake N, Roth V, Suh KN, Majewski J, Leeder C, van Walraven C. Patient-level factors associated with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage at hospital admission: A systematic review. Am J Infect Control 2013 Mar;41(3):214-20 [Epub 2012 Sep 20]
- Forster AJ, Oake N, Auger C, Ali M, Buckeridge D, Equale T, van Walraven C, Tamblyn R. Using information technology to improve the monitoring of outpatient prescribing. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Mar 11;173(5):382-4. [Epub 2013 Feb 4:1-2]
- van Walraven C, Wong J, Hawken S, Forster AJ. Comparing methods to calculate hospital-specific rates of early death or urgent readmission. CMAJ. 2012 Oct 16; 184(15):E810-7. [Epub 2012 Oct 9].
- Calder LA, Forster AJ, Stiell IG, Carr LK, Brehaut JC, Perry JJ, Vaillancourt C, Croskerry P. Experiential and rational decision making: a survey to determine how emergency physicians make clinical decisions. Emerg Med J. 2012;29(10):811–816. [Epub 2011 Nov 7]
- van Walraven C, Austin PC, Forster AJ. Urgent readmission rates can be used to infer differences in avoidable readmission rates between hospitals. J Clin Epidemiol. 2012 Oct;65(10):1124-30. [Epub 2012 Jul 17]
- Forster AJ, Worthington JR, Hawken S, Bourke M, Rubens F, Shojania K, van Walraven C. Using prospective clinical surveillance to identify adverse events in hospital. BMJ Qua Saf 2011 Sep;20(9):756-63 [Epub 2011 March 1]
- Forster AJ, Turnbull J, McGuire S, Ho ML, Worthington JR. Improving patient safety and physician accountability using the hospital credentialing process. Open Medicine. 2011:5(2):e79-e86.