Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology Program
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Health Economist, Clinical Epidemiology Program
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, The Ottawa Hospital
Assistant Professor, School of Epidemiology, Public Health and Preventive Medicine
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
Fellow, Health System Planning & Evaluation Program
Institute of Clinical Evaluative Sciences
- Health Economics
- Health Technology Assessment
- Pharmaceutical Policy
- Health Services Research
- Health Equity/Access to care
- Heath Behaviours/Health Promotion
Dr. Thavorn is a scientist and a health economist with the Clinical Epidemiology Program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, The Ottawa Hospital. She received her bachelor's in Pharmacy from Chiang Mai University and master's degrees in Pharmacy from Naresuan University, Thailand. She earned a doctoral degree in Health Services Research from the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation (IHPME), University of Toronto. She completed two post-doctoral fellowship programs, including Applied Pharmacoeconomics from the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s Hospital and Health Services Research from IHPME, University of Toronto.
- Thavorn K, Mamdani M and Straus S. Efficacy of turmeric in the treatment of digestive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol. Systematic Reviews 2014; 71:1-6.
- Thavorn K, Gomes T, Camacho X, Juurlink D, Zhan Y, and Mamdani M. Upper gastrointestinal bleeding in elderly patients with dementia receiving cholinesterase inhibitors: a population-based cohort study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2014; 62(2):382-4.
- Srirangson A, Thavorn K, Moon M, Noh S. Mental health problems in Thai immigrants in Toronto, Canada. International Journal of Culture and Mental Health. February 2012.
- Coyte PC, Thavorn K. When does an immigrant represent excessive demand on Canadian health or social services? APORIA The Nursing Journal 2010;2(3);18-23.
- Coyte PC, Thavorn K, Dhanji H. The economic burden of immigrants with HIV/AIDS: When to say no? Journal of Global Business Advancement 2010; 3(1), 60 – 78
- Thavorn K. and Chaiyakunapruk N. A cost-effectiveness analysis of a community pharmacist based smoking cessation program. Tobacco Control 2008; 17(3), 177-182.
- Thavorn K, Chaiyakunapruk N, Thammalikitkul V. A systematic review of clinical efficacy of Hibiscus sabdariffa. Thai Pharmaceutical and Health Science Journal 2006; 1(3), 219-225 (in Thai)
Diseases, conditions and populations of interest
Cancer; Diabetes; Glaucoma; Global health; Health in disadvantaged peoples; Health in older peoples; Immigrant and refugee health; Infectious disease; Liver disease; Population health; Septic shock; Stroke; Thrombosis / thromboembolism; Vision
Research and clinical approaches
Clinical research; Clinical trials; Cohort studies; Critical care; Epidemiology; Health economics; Health research methods; Health services research; Health technology; Knowledge translation and implementation research; Pharmacology; Pharmacy; Public health; Quality Improvement; Regenerative medicine; Stem cells; Stem cells; Systematic reviews