Associate Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology Program
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Staff Respirologist, Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine
The Ottawa Hospital
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Medicine
University of Ottawa
Assistant Professor, School of Epidemiology, Public Health and Preventive Medicine
University of Ottawa
Dr. Pakhale started her research program after joining The Ottawa Hospital and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute in 2008. Dr. Pakhale's research interests are:
* Health Equity and Marginalized Populations
* Tobacco Dependence Management
* Chronic Lung Diseases (Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, COPD)
* Global Health
* Social Determinants of Health
Associate Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Assistant Professor, Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa
Staff physician, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Ottawa Hospital
Dr. Pakhale completed her medical school training from the Government Medical College, Nagpur, India. Dr. Pakhale completed her Internal Medicine residency at the Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, and became an American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) certified internist. She further completed Lung Transplantation and Cystic Fibrosis fellowship at the University of Toronto and Respirology and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship at the University of Manitoba, Winnipeg. Upon completion of her fellowships at the University of Toronto and the University of Manitoba, she was awarded Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC) in Internal Medicine (2005) and Respirology (2006). She then went on to join McGill University as a post-doc research fellow and simultaneously completed training in Epidemiology and Biostatics for which she received an MSc (2008).
She is leading a community research center in downtown Ottawa where she works in true partnership with the inner city population. Please join the ‘team-BridgeProject’ running team, captained by Mr. Ted Bignell (research participant and CAC member), for the May 27/28 weekend race in 2017 or donate to support the downtown community-based project: http://tinyurl.com/TheBridge2017
1. Pakhale S, Samet J, Folan P, Leone F, White A The Case for Requiring Graphic Warning Labels on Smokeless Tobacco Product Packages. American Thoracic Society Tobacco Action Committee.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Mar;13(3):329-33.
2. Pakhalé S, Folan P, Neptune E, Sachs D. Retail Tobacco Sale in the Community. Should Pharmacies Sell Tobacco Products? Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Aug;12(8):1116-7.
3. Leone FT, Carlsen KH, Folan P, Latzka K, Munzer A, Neptune E, Pakhale S, Sachs DP, Samet J, Upson D, White A; ATS Tobacco Action Committee; American Thoracic Society. An Official American Thoracic Society Research Statement: Current Understanding and Future Research Needs in Tobacco Control and Treatment. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Aug 1;192(3):e22-41.
4. Pakhale S, Armstrong M, Holly C, Edjoc R, Gaudet E, Aaron S, Tasca G, Cameron W, Balfour L. Assessment of stigma in patients with cystic fibrosis. BMC Pulm Med. 2014 May 1;14:76.
5. Pakhale S, Doucette S, Vandemheen K, Boulet LP, McIvor RA, Fitzgerald JM, Hernandez P, Lemiere C, Sharma S, Field SK, Alvarez GG, Dales RE, Aaron SD. A comparison of obese and nonobese people with asthma: exploring an asthma-obesity interaction. Chest. 2010 Jun;137(6):1316-23
6. Pakhale SS, Hadjiliadis D, Howell DN, Palmer SM, Gutierrez C, Waddell TK, Chaparro C, Davis RD, Keshavjee S, Hutcheon MA, Singer LG. Upper lobe fibrosis: a novel manifestation of chronic allograft dysfunction in lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2005 Sep;24(9):1260-8.
Diseases, conditions and populations of interest
Health in disadvantaged peoples; Indigenous peoples health; Lung disease
Research and clinical approaches
Clinical research; Epidemiology; Gene therapy; Health economics; Health promotion; Health services research; Quality Improvement