Sr. Scientist, Clinical Epidemiology Program
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute
Full Professor, Medicine
University of Ottawa
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Services
Dr. Kumanan Wilson is a specialist in General Internal Medicine at the Ottawa Hospital. He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa, Senior Scientist in the Clinical Epidemiology Program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and Scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICESuOttawa). He also holds a Research Chair in Public Health Policy from The Ottawa Hospital, the Department of Medicine and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
Dr. Wilson has examined the use of social media to communicate vaccine messages. He is currently using health administrative data at ICES to evaluate the safety of pediatric vaccines through an initiative called VISION (Vaccine and Immunization Surveillance in Ontario). He is also the co-developer of the ImmunizeCA app to help individuals track their or their children's immunizations http://www.immunize.ca/en/app.aspx
- Hawken S, Manuel DG, Deeks SL, Kwong JC, Crowcroft NS, Wilson K. Underestimating the safety benefits of a new vaccine. The impact of whole-cell versus acellular pertussis vaccine on health services utilization. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012; 176(11):1035-42.
- Benchimol E, Hawken S, Kwong J, Wilson K. Safety and utilization of influenza immunization in children with inflammatory bowel disease. Pediatrics. 2013 Jun; 131(6): e1811-20. [Epub 2013 May 6]
- Wilson K, Hawken S, Kwong J, Deeks S, Manuel D, Holdt Henningsen K, Crowcroft N,. Impact of birth weight at term on rates of emergency room visits and hospital admissions following vaccination at 2 months of age. Vaccine. 2011 Oct 26; 29(46):8267-74.
- Keelan J, Wilson K. Designing a no-fault vaccine-injury compensation program for Canada: Lessons learned from an international analysis of programs. Munk School Briefings. Munk School of Global Affairs. Toronto, ON. February 2011.
- Juurlink DN, Stukel TA, Kwong J, Kopp A, McGeer A, Upshur RE, Manuel DG, Moineddin R, Wilson K. Guillain-Barré Syndrome After Influenza Vaccination in Adults: A Population-Based Study. Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166(20):2217-2221.
- Keelan J, Pavri-Garcia V, Tomlinson G, Wilson K. YouTube as a Source of Information on Immunization: A Content Analysis. JAMA. 2007; 298(21):2481-2484.
- Wilson K, Brownstein J. Early detection of disease outbreaks using the Internet. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2009; 180:829-31.
- Wilson K, McDougall C, Fidler DP, Lazar H. Strategies for implementing the new International health regulations in federal states. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2008; 86:215-220.
- Wilson K, Graham I, Ricketts M, Dornan C, Laupacis A, Hebert P. Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and the Canadian blood system after the tainted blood tragedy. Soc Sci Med. 2007 Jan; 64(1):174-85.
- Wilson K, Ricketts MN. Transfusion transmission of vCJD: a crisis avoided? Lancet. 2004 Aug 7-13; 364(9433):477-9.