Dr. Kumanan Wilson is a specialist in General Internal Medicine at the Ottawa Hospital. He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa, Senior Scientist in the Clinical Epidemiology Program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and Scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICESuOttawa). He also holds a Research Chair in Public Health Policy from The Ottawa Hospital, the Department of Medicine and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
Dr. Wilson has examined the use of social media to communicate vaccine messages. He is currently using health administrative data at ICES to evaluate the safety of pediatric vaccines through an initiative called VISION (Vaccine and Immunization Surveillance in Ontario). He is also the co-developer of the ImmunizeCA app to help individuals track their or their children's immunizations http://www.immunize.ca/en/app.aspx
1. Wilson K, Atkinson KM, Deeks SL, Crowcroft NS. Improving vaccine registries through mobile technologies. A vision for mobile enhanced immunization information systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Jun 15. pii: ocv055. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocv055. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Wilson K, Atkinson K, Penney G. Development and release of a national immunization App for Canada (Immunize CA). Vaccine. 2015 Mar 30;33(14):1629-32 [Epub 2015 Feb 20]
3. Hawken S, Kwong JC, Deeks SL, Crowcroft NS, McGeer AJ, Ducharme R, Campitelli MA, Coyle and Wilson K. Simulation study of the effect of influenza and influenza vaccination on risk of acquiring Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 Feb;21(2):224-31
4. Wilson K, Atkinson K, Deeks S. Opportunities for utilizing new technologies to increase vaccine confidence. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2014 Aug13(8):969-77. [Epub 2014 Jun 14]
5. Wilson K, Atkinson K, Keelan J. The use of preliminary scientific evidence in public health. A case study of XMRV. PLoS Med. 2014 Apr 8;11(4):e1001623
6. Benchimol E, Hawken S, Kwong J, Wilson K. Safety and utilization of influenza immunization in children with inflammatory bowel disease. Pediatrics. 2013 Jun; 131(6): e1811-20. [Epub 2013 May 6]
7. Keelan J, Wilson K. Designing a no-fault vaccine-injury compensation program for Canada: Lessons learned from an international analysis of programs. Munk School Briefings. Munk School of Global Affairs. Toronto, ON. February 2011.
8. Wilson K, Brownstein J. Early detection of disease outbreaks using the Internet. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2009; 180:829-31.
9. Keelan J, Pavri-Garcia V, Tomlinson G, Wilson K. YouTube as a Source of Information on Immunization: A Content Analysis. JAMA. 2007; 298(21):2481-2484.
10. Wilson K, Graham I, Ricketts M, Dornan C, Laupacis A, Hebert P. Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and the Canadian blood system after the tainted blood tragedy. Soc Sci Med. 2007 Jan; 64(1):174-85.