Dr. Kumanan Wilson is a specialist in General Internal Medicine at the Ottawa Hospital. He is a Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa, Senior Scientist in the Clinical Epidemiology Program at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute and Scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICESuOttawa). He holds a Research Chair in Public Health Innovation from The Ottawa Hospital, the Department of Medicine and the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute.
Dr. Wilson’s research has focused on public health innovation including blood safety, immunization and newborn screening. His interest in how social media and other new communication technologies led to the creation of mobile immunization applications – first ImmunizeON and then Canada’s national immunization app, ImmunizeCA http://www.immunizeca.ca
. He has guided a team in the development of other mobile health initiatives within the Ottawa Hospital. Dr. Wilson most recently has received funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to develop a method to determine gestational age in newborns based on analysis of a heel prick blood test collecting during routine newborn screening. This project will provide information that could guide the care of newborns in low resource settings.
1. Wilson K, Atkinson KM, Westeinde J, Bell C, Marty K, Fergusson D, Deeks SL, Crowcroft N, Bettinger JA.. An evaluation of the feasibility and usability of a proof of concept mobile app for adverse event reporting post influenza vaccination. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2016 Feb 23:0. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Wilson K, Atkinson KM, Deeks SL, Crowcroft NS. Improving vaccine registries through mobile technologies. A vision for mobile enhanced immunization information systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Jan;23(1):207-11.
3. Wilson K, Atkinson K, Bell C. Travel vaccines enter the digital age: creating a virtual immunization record. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene.2015 Dec 28. pii: 15-0510. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Wilson K, Hawken S, Potter B, Chakraborty P, Walker M, Ducharme R, Little J. Accurate prediction of gestational age using newborn screening analyte data. Am J Obstet and Gynecol [Epub ahead of print 2015 Oct 28]
5. Attaran A, Wilson K. The Ebola vaccine, iatrogenic injuries and legal liability. PLoS Med. 2015 Dec 1;12(12).
6. Wilson K, Atkinson KM, Westeinde J. Apps for immunization-leveraging mobile devices to place the individual at the center of care. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2015 Oct 3;11(10):2395-9.
7. Hawken S, Kwong JC, Deeks SL, Crowcroft NS, McGeer AJ, Ducharme R, Campitelli MA, Coyle and Wilson K. Simulation study of the effect of influenza and influenza vaccination on risk of acquiring Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 Feb;21(2):224-31
8. Wilson K, Atkinson K, Deeks S. Opportunities for utilizing new technologies to increase vaccine confidence. Expert Rev Vaccines. 2014 Aug13(8):969-77.
9. Wilson K, Hawken S, Ducharme R, Potter BK, Little J, Thebaud B, Chakraborty P. Metabolomics of prematurity: Analysis of patterns of amino acids, enzymes and endocrine markers by categories of gestational age. Pediatr Res 2014 Feb;75(2):367-73
10. Keelan J, Pavri-Garcia V, Tomlinson G, Wilson K. YouTube as a Source of Information on Immunization: A Content Analysis. JAMA. 2007; 298(21):2481-2484.