Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute (OHRI) is committed to increasing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) and helping to drive deeper cultural change within the research ecosystem.
OHRI’s EDI Council is an advisory body charged with setting the Institute’s EDI agenda. The EDI Council makes recommendations on strategies to:
- Address systemic barriers that hinder full participation in the OHRI community by members of underrepresented or disadvantaged groups
- Enhance equity, diversity and inclusion
OHRI endorses the Dimensions Charter, an EDI initiative supported by Canada’s three federal research granting agencies.
What is equity, diversity and inclusion?
- Equity is the fair and respectful treatment of all people. Equity is the process; equality is the result
- Diversity is the demographic mix of the community, with a focus on the representation of equity-deserving groups
- Inclusion is the creation of an environment where everyone feels welcome, is treated with respect, and is able to fully participate